Slider

A (Non)Update on Whole30

Monday, June 12, 2017

If you remember, last Tuesday I started Whole30.  I had been intrigued by the Whole30 way of eating since a few bloggers I follow started it in January.  I followed their journey with interest and then researched a few other bloggers the following months.  I knew I did not want to do Whole30 during school, so I had planned to start when we got back from our beach trip.

In short, after finishing day one of Whole30 I realized that it was not for me.  

And I'm not sorry about that.

At first I felt guilty for feeling that way because I thought I'd be seen as a failure when a whole bunch of other people have completed the entire 30 days and more.  But I decided that I have to do what's best for me, and what's best for me is not eating strictly Whole30.

Here's my problem:  binge eating sweets.  Not eating fried chicken or french fries.  So honestly by the time supper came around on day one, I was so repulsed by the idea of eating such hearty food because sometimes for supper I'll eat a little bit of plain popcorn or a protein smoothie that I felt sick and couldn't even stomach the rest of my supper.

What's my next step:

I've come to accept that I pretty much have a nonexistent metabolism and will always have to watch what I eat.  My goal is some sort of clean eating lifestyle thats 80/20 because I fully believe in treating yourself sometimes--key word: sometimes.

If you've been contemplating Whole30 then try it!  Maybe it's for you and that's great, but if it's not, don't feel bad.  I believe that we should all do what's best for ourselves when it comes to our health and fueling our body.  Our body is a temple and we are stewards of this body while here on Earth.  I don't want to become so obsessed with the types of food that I eat that food becomes my idol, and I also don't want to be so gluttonous that I fall into that sin trap.  I want to make sure that my body is healthy so that I can serve the Lord at my best.


These are some of my Whole30 meals that I ate:

I'm not used to eating this much at breakfast but it did keep me full until lunch.



Lunch was arugula, sautéed chicken, and Tessemae's ranch dressing.  If I weren't eating Whole30, I would have added some kidney beans to this salad.


Lunch the next day (my first non-Whole30 day) was still compliant.  I had chicken salad lettuce wraps and I used the chipotle lime Primal mayo--expensive but good!


20 comments:

  1. Me too, you know what works for you and that is the key!! That chicken salad looks divine!! Sweets are my weakness....sugar be gone!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. No shame in your game friend! I totally agree..I could never do whole 30. I'm also in the same metabolism boat! I've been really bad all weekend and need to start this week better. Weekends get me every time and its like I have zero self control. ugh.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've heard from my aunt and uncle who did it last fall that it is to find out if you have any food allergies or intolerances, and so you cut out most foods and then slowly work them back in and see what causes the reaction. I understand having to watch the sweets (!!!!!) and of course a healthy lifestyle of eating vs. a diet for a little while is by far the best and most healthy idea. Keep it up and go for it! You'll do great.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Figuring out what works best for you is key! I feel the same about our bodies. I want to operate at my prime to serve the Lord and I try to remind myself that overeating and not taking care of my body is not glorifying him at all.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that you realized it wasn't for you and just stopped - it's not for everyone and I know it's not for me either! I just like to do my own thing because different things work for different people!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Girl you have to do what's good for you and being excited about eating food is also important - at least it is to me! xo, Biana -BlovedBoston

    ReplyDelete
  7. I commend you for trying it and being so honest about it, Sarah!! I already know that I could never do it. Mostly because I have to have my sweets every now and then and I also really look forward to my glass of wine on Sunday evening with my Daddy! I also just REALLY love food and I also just don't have the time. It seems positively exhausting doing all that cooking and washing all those dishes all the time. I would love to try some Whole 30 dishes sometime and maybe try a "Half 30" - LOL - but I just couldn't do it all day every day for 30 days! EEKS!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Haha I totally agree with this! We tried to go Paleo and then realized after a week it wasn't a realistic thing for us to eat that way 100% of the time!! We still cook some of the recipes and enjoy them, but definitely don't stick to it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You do you, lady! Everyone's body is different and what works for some, doesn't work for others. Trying and attempting is the important part so you learn :)!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think 80/20 is a much more reasonable lifestyle. My big belief is strict whole 30 is there for a reason..to identify how your body reacts to food. For people with autoimune diseases or who are having issues with gut issues it can be an amazing way to reprogram and find out what really makes them feel better. If you feel A-Ok the way you eat now then that is not the issue! I seriously just feel so much better when I cut out the sugar but momma doesn't do well giving up happy hour!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Way to go for trying it and then figuring out what will work for you! And way to go for keepin' it "real" on your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  12. amazing post dear :)
    happy Monday :)

    https://www.instagram.com/tijamomcilovic/
    http://itsmetijana.blogspot.rs/

    ReplyDelete
  13. It wasn't for me either. Too restrictive. Have you heard of the 5/2 diet. Where you eat 500 calories two days a week and I believe 1500 calories or so for 5 days. A friend is doing great and is to her goal weight.

    ReplyDelete
  14. At least you tried it, and you knew enough about yourself to know it wasn't for you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Good for you! You've got to do what works best for your healthy lifestyle. I think your plan sounds like a great one. I don't think I could ever do a Whole 30, but I'm definitely trying to clean up my eating/snacking, drinking tons of water and getting in regular exercise.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm so glad that you did a post like this-I feel like most of us (myself included) are afraid to put out blog posts or whatever that aren't always super positive about experiences. Hearing the good and the not-so-good are awesome and keep it real!

    xoxo, SS

    www.SouthernAndStyle.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love this! I'm proud of you for even trying... I knew I could not even make it 1 day so I didn't even try. I love our health group on facebook though, it's so helpful to have a community of women trying to be healthy for the right reasons. You go girl! :) Thanks for the honesty!

    ReplyDelete
  18. So glad you were completely honest! I've never even tried because I know I'd never make it. Whole 30 seems super intense. I'm much more along the 80/20 route with you. Props to you for starting and finding out what works and what doesn't. I hope your active lifestyle and watching what you eat will help you reach your goals!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
CopyRight © | Theme Designed By Hello Manhattan