Monday, April 24, 2017

A Saturday Tour of Belle Chèvre Creamery

Happy Monday, friends!  
Today marks the official one month countdown until the last day of school for students 🙌🙌  I know that this last month is going to fly by, and then we'll be heading into summer vacation!  I know I sound like I'm wishing my life away this last month of school, but I'm just really excited about what this summer holds for lots of reasons...and I've got some plans for this blog, too!

All last week I had been looking forward to the surprise date that Dustin was planning for us on Saturday.  He's such a great husband, but he's not great at planning dates.  Because of this, I was so excited to see what he planned.  He told me to be ready to leave the house by 9:30 that morning.  It turns out he had been listening to me talk about how I wanted to take a tour of a local goat cheese creamery and had booked us an 11 AM tour.  I was ecstatic! 

I don't have many pictures of the tour because I wasn't sure if pictures were allowed, but if you're ever in north Alabama, I recommend a tour and tasting at Belle Chèvre!

The creamery is located inside of an old cotton storehouse.



Dustin snapped this as I was coming out of the bathroom.  Don't I look so excited?

Behind that wooden and glass door in the background is the area where they make and package the cheese.  There are only 5 people employed by the creamery and they rotate jobs sometimes, so not all 5 people are always making cheese.  We got to watch them make a pimiento cheese spread and it's one of the popular ones.

The tour also included a history of the building, seeing some of the goats that provide milk for the creamery (and petting them!), and a video on the current president's history with the company.  

The tour ended with a tasting of all their products, so obviously this was my favorite part since I love goat cheese.  Their spreads are their most popular and we tasted original, coffee, pimiento, cinnamon, fig, and honey.  Then we also tasted the log and a cheesecake made with goat's milk.


 We walked over to the restaurant for lunch and both enjoyed a sandwich with goat cheese. Dustin got a pimento cheese BLT and I got a grilled turkey with honey spread.



Our fun little date ended with a trip to Starbucks for my favorite drink of the moment: cinnamon almond milk machiatto.
Linking up with Biana

16 comments:

  1. How sweet of your husband to surprise you! What a fun day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a nice surprise and you had me at pimiento cheese...... WOW!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a sweet thing for Mr. Shaneyfelt to do for you! Fun memories made for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You had me at Chevre!! Definitely a fun and unique day date!! xo, Biana -BlovedBoston

    ReplyDelete
  5. That macchiato is SO yummy. And what a fun date-good job Dustin!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I weirdly LOVE pimento cheese, and I bet they have the best! I would have loved Dustin's lunch. Ha! I'll have to tell my parents about this place. They love getting out and doing stuff like this!

    ReplyDelete
  7. How fun!!!! What a thoughtful date and it sounds like it was the best!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That sounds AMAZING! I was on a goat cheese kick this weekend - on my chicken for dinner Friday night and again on my breakfast sandwich Saturday morning. I'm jealous!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a sweet surprise! It's always fun to experience places like this! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. That sounds so fun and delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This looks like fun. Nice surprise! I tried the iced version of that drink and it was good.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a sweet husband you have! You are a lucky girl.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh that Dustin, what a great guy! He's definitely a keeper. And goat cheese is my FAVORITE cheese. We have a local restaurant here that makes my favorite salad in the entire universe - baby spinach, strawberries, goat cheese, and steak tips in their homemade dressing. It is to die for!

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a sweet date! I love that he was listening to you and planned the whole thing. Sounds like a delicious place to visit :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sounds fabulously delicious!

    ReplyDelete