Thursday, March 3, 2016

Porch Goals for the Spring

I received my March issue of Southern Living last week in the mail.  That's always such a joyous mail day because I love SL magazine and it's not a bill!  As I was reading the magazine this past weekend, I came across a page in the Home + Garden section that listed annuals and perennials for spring.  And now I'm dying to add flowers to my house this spring!

When we built our house last year, we went ahead and had the builder landscape the front beds.  Since I'm no master gardener, I'm going to leave those alone for now and just focus on adding urns to the front porch.

Our house faces north so our front porch is shaded pretty much all day.  It's great for sitting on, but not so great when it comes to flowers.

Those poor Mums didn't make it very long in the shade last fall.

My dreams front porch would have this:


But more realistically speaking, I think I'll have to go for something similar to these or for any flower that requires shade.




Let's talk:

Any tips on a flower or plant that could withstand the shade this spring and summer?


Don't forget to link up with Victoria and me for our Book Club Thursday!  You can link up any post with a book review, recommendation, list of books you want to read--anything book related!  I can't wait to see what everyone links up!

12 comments:

  1. I would google what flowers/plants are best in shade. My mom is all about gardening so I usually ask her...I will have to see if she has any recommendations. Can't wait to see what you end up with!

    ReplyDelete
  2. There something about a pretty front porch and door area that makes me smile! You found some beautiful ones my friend! I hope you have a great day today

    ReplyDelete
  3. My front porch is on my March to-do list! I've been stalking pinterest for weeks trying to figure this out!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really love the urns with the purple flowers in them! Even though the shade may be a bit of a bummer, in my opinion the more low maintenance, the better! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Can't wait to see what you end up with! Last spring was our first in the house and we were just enjoying the season and tackling bigger projects like the deck and such but landscaping out front is high up on the list for this year!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm not much of a gardener myself, so I can't help you with that but I LOVE all the porch inspiration pics! I can't wait to see what you decide to go with!

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOVE your dream porches, sooooooooo pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Our house faces north and is in the shade as well so we have the same problem. I have found that ferns actually do really well in the shade, but you have to water the crap out of them every single day. I bought 4 last summer at Lowe's and they lasted all the way until fall!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Can't wait to see what you go with!! Pretty front porches are so springy and festive :)
    Kelsey
    www.thepeacockroost.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. I literally can't wait for the day that I have a front porch and not city steps lol! xo, Biana -BlovedBoston

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love your dream porches! We're moving this summer and I'm really hoping to get a pretty porch out of it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Our porch on our home (in Alabama!) stays in the shade for most of the day and is lined with boxwoods. I love the look of boxwoods and they're pretty low maintenance, so maybe boxwood urns would be a pretty option :)

    xoxo, SS

    The Southern Stylista

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...