Tuesday, January 19, 2016

Cinnamon Apple Oatmeal (in the Crockpot!)

(My sister started her own blog yesterday and already has 2 posts up!  Go visit it and leave her a comment!)


I feel the need to start this post off with an apology for how bad the photo below is.  Since this was a new recipe, I was so excited to try it when I woke up Monday morning that I forgot to take a picture!  And then I packed it all away before I realized that I still hadn't taken a decent photo.  So the one that I took to send to my mom will have to do.

I found this recipe in a cookbook I bought shortly after Christmas that was on sale.  I knew that Sunday night would be the perfect night to prep this recipe since I was out of school on Monday.  I'll be honest....the first bite was a little strange (only because I'm not used to steel-cut oats), but the more I ate of it the more I loved it!

Cinnamon Apple Oatmeal 


1 cup steel-cut oats (uncooked)
1-2 apples, peeled, cored, and chopped (I used 2 Honey Crisp)
2 cups of milk
1 1/2 cups of water
1/2 cup of unsweetened applesauce (Make sure it says Unsweetened when you buy it)
1/4 cup packed brown sugar (I used Splenda brown sugar)
1 Tbs butter, diced
1 tsp cinnamon (I probably used a little more than that)

1. Spray your crockpot (or crockpot liner) with non-stick veggie spray.
2. Add all of the ingredients and stir.
3. Cover and cook on low for about 7 hours.
4. Enjoy!!!  (Stir in a little more milk or water if it's too thick for you.)

This is a great breakfast for a busy morning that is both filling and healthy!


6 comments:

  1. This sounds like the perfect breakfast for these cold mornings!

    ReplyDelete
  2. this sounds delicious! I would eat it before taking a picture, too! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh this looks delicious! I need to make this ASAP since it's so cold out and I am needing something warm and quick in the mornings! Thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How many servings would you say this makes? It sounds so yummy, but I want to make sure I don't make like 13 servings and have a ton leftover!

    xoxo, SS

    The Southern Stylista

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just can't get past the texture of oatmeal but the flavor of this sounds delicious!!
    Kelsey
    www.thepeacockroost.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. You had me at crockpot!! I'm always looking for easy breakfasts! xo, Biana

    ReplyDelete